Saturday, February 22, 2014

Craft/Computer Desk Day 6

Today started with shop cleanup since I haven't had a chance to do it in the evenings this week.  I had bought a trash can dust collection separator from WoodCraft a couple of years ago but I never knew how effective it really was. I had completely emptied it and my Grizzley dust collected right before I had started on Leslie's desk. After sweeping and vacuuming up all the dust I checked the can and it was completely full but the dust collector was almost empty.  If you don't have one I highly recommend this Trash can lid separator.  It's cheap and effective!


After I got the shop cleaned up I started breaking down the desk to get it ready for paint.    


I had to use every flat surface I could find to stage the parts so I can get this done as efficiently as possible tomorrow.  

After getting set up I started filling the visible pocket hole screw holes with just regular dry wall compound.  I found this worked well on Leslie's bookcases so I did it here too. This is easy to sand and clean up when it dries. It's kinda messy to start with....

But with a coat of paint you'll never see it after it's sanded.  

Speaking of sanding, I started sanding the edging to smooth it up, but my sander started making an awful noise and then the sanding disc just flew off.  This is the second disc I've gone thru.  I bought this replacement disc from Highland Woodworking, but it didn't last very long at all.   

I guess it's time for an upgrade.  I've had this one for probably 15 years so it was due.  I want one with better dust collection anyway.  This one spews dust like there is no tomorrow.  I finished sanding the pieces by hand with the disc.  It does make a good sanding block.

Well.that was my day in the shop today.  I'll sand all the joint compound and then wipe everything down and get a coat of paint applied.  Hopefully it will only need 2 coats total.  

No comments:

Post a Comment