Saturday, February 1, 2014

Welcome to the Lower Woods Workshop

Hello and welcome to the Lower Woods Workshop.  My name is Joey and after reading and studying many woodworking blogs I have finally decided to start one of my own. My primary goal is to motivate myself to keep busy in workshop and hopefully in the process entertain and inspire other woodworkers through my woodworking adventures.  I know absolutely nothing about blogging, so who knows what this may look like, but I'll keep doing it as long as it's fun.

 I've been woodworking for about 25 years or so now, but I still feel like an amateur in so many different accepts of woodworking.  Like many woodworkers, the first time I saw Norm Abram in "The New Yankee Workshop" I thought, wow, that's cool. After watching a few episodes I just knew that I could do that type of work. Of course, being in high school at the time, I had no tools, no experience, no shop, and no idea where to start.  My parents bought me a copy of Norm's first season project book and I read it cover to cover many times over and found several starter projects I wanted to build. My Dad and I got fantastic deal on an old Dewalt radial arm saw that had been at our local hardware store for years...I mean YEARS!  The layers of dust had layers of dust. Anyway, we loaded it up and my woodworking career began.  It is still one of the most used tools in my shop, even though most have gone the way of the dinosaur.  My first project was Norm's workbench which I still use today (although it's time to upgrade to better suit the type of woodworking I want to do in the future).  Then a bookcase and a clothes hamper I could take off to college with me.  I've made several projects since then, moved my shop 4 times, and have plans in my head and in Sketch Up to make a true shop in my basement hopefully sooner rather than later.  I'll be adding some of these projects here as I can dig up pictures, and more importantly sharing my new projects.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment