Saturday, February 1, 2014

Craft/Computer Desk

My wife, Leslie, has been wanting to turn our upstairs bonus room into a craft room where she can do her scrap booking and other crafts that she has been wanting to do, but ever since we've lived here has been boxed up with no where to put them. I recently completed a set of  bookshelves and a tv stand to give her plenty of room to organize her stuff.   I designed these in Sketch Up and built them from plywood and poplar face frames using primarily pocket screws and dados cut with the router.

To compliment the shelves she wanted a new crafting and computer desk to finish off her part of the bonus room.  We both have computer desks we used in college and they are well beyond need for an upgrade.  She found a design that she wanted here.  I didn't like the fact that it was based off a store bought shelf, so I decided to build the shelves with the leftover plywood I had from the shelves.   I started working on the shelves this morning.

The desk will be 2'x4' on the short leg of the L and 3'x8' on the long side which will be along the wall opposite the storage shelves.  To start I broke out the radial arm saw and cut the base shelf pieces to length.


After getting all the pieces cut to length, I took them all over to the table saw to cut them to the final width. 



I decided that for the base frame I would skip the dados and just use pocket screws to speed up the assembly process.  There should be much weight on the shelves so I think it will be plenty strong to hold whatever Leslie wants to put on it.  I setup my Kreg pocket hole jig and marked layout lines about 3.5" in from each edge of the shelf and vertical support.  


Then, it was time for some assembly....


We decided that these shelves probably needed a back to keep things from falling off. So I add that from some scrap 1/4" plywood cut with a jigsaw then flush trimmed with my router. 

This is the finished end shelf on the 2' side. 


Tomorrow I plan on finishing the assembly of the remaining base pieces, then watch the big game.  Go Broncos!!


No comments:

Post a Comment